Thread: Stellantis (Dodge/Jeep) EV day

vCash

Stellantis (Dodge/Jeep) EV day

My company had a an investor day today to share off EV plans and the plan is to go crazy on hybrid/electrics by 2025 and near full EV by 2030 in EU. I've been in a crazy amount of product planning since my team will have a lotttt of work to do over the next few years based on all the promises.

Dodge -> Lots of rambling, money shot of detail @ 3:30 -> 2024CY launch of full EV Muscle Car (nothing actually shown)

Ram -> Lots more rambling, money shot @ 3:45 -> 2024 CY launch of full EV RAM 1500 (nothing actually shown)

Jeep -> @ 3:09 first reveal of PHEV Grand Cherokee (same powertrain as PHEV Wrangler). BEV Jeep & super ham-time on a lot of *interesting* [trying to be nice here...] features promised throughout (Biometric scanning, drone pairing to car, self-driving off-road w/ remote vehicle tracking...not sure about this)

Full presentation other key things:

@ 1:26New chassis defined to go global (between all Peugeot, Fiat, Chrysler/Jeep/Dodge brands) -> Small (mostly Euro) 300mile range, medium 440 mile range, large & frame 500 mile (Charger/Challenger/Trucks/SUVs)
    @ 1:34 graphic showing full EV truck AND a something called range electric paradigm breaker (which is a terrible name IMO) which is actually interesting but they didn't show off more details so I can't share either
    @ 1:38 this is where the actual fun details of power output comes -> drive motor #2 is ~150kW (200HP) so 400HP total when put in AWD setup, motor #3 is can range from 150-330kW (200HP/400V to 440HP/800V) so w/ 800V battery & two motors looking at 880HP (not sure what torque would be....but massive)

I would totally be OK w/ a 500mile ranged Charger w/ 880hp as a replacement for my 6.4 Charger; just need a few more promotions to be able to pay for it
    Last edited by KrispyCharger; 07-08-2021 at 08:33 PM.

vCash
    EV Muscle Car? I'm pretty certain those two terms are mutually exclusive.

vCash
    And this backs up my thinking that the JL is the last time a V8 will be offered in a Wrangler. Guess I better start saving b/c I want one before they're gone.

vCash
    " *interesting* [trying to be nice here...] "

That works as my reply.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DANSBIRD View Post
    EV Muscle Car? I'm pretty certain those two terms are mutually exclusive.
    At least the marketing people didn't add in V8 sounds when they had the AWD burnout graphic generated. It is the *right* marketing pitch though, claim that the move to EV is for performance not for any green-y plant saving reason. Not sure if anyone will buy it, but has to be attempted to maintain brand image of 'can't hear you over my burn-outs'.

vCash
    This seems like Dodge's fake-excitement on selling out.

vCash
    On a plus note, I have had a lot of eager beaver engineers reach out to me to see if there are spots on my team to work on any of the high power EV systems & most of the highly capable people I know are finding themselves roles in developments of the EVs and hybrids. Years ago none of these same people wanted to be nowhere near the efforts because of how difficult the first generations were and how shoe-string the efforts were.

The Peugeot CEO that is running the show now is wayyyyyyy more serious about not just doing bare minimum to meet regulation/CAFE phase-ins and buying things from the lowest cost supplier. As shown in the presentation, design of things are being done in-house for motors/batteries (like historically was only done with engines) and for sure engineers in-house care a lot more about final customers than our suppliers (they only care about getting paid by OEMs and the final customer barely ever enters their thoughts).

Gives me some hope that the final products will actually be decent, but a lot of years between now & 2024 where millions of individual tasks need to go right to have a product people want to pay for.

vCash
    This seems like Dodge's fake-excitement on selling out.
    It's why they are putting a hellcat in everything so they can go and point back at that time in history that they made a 700 hp minivan.

vCash
    Krispy, do you know the product planners who decided how to do the V8 wrangler? If so, can you please punch that person in the face as hard as you can and then key their car. Thanks.

vCash
    No, my day jerb is making sure the fault lamps and warning lamps turn on & off for the right reasons in the hybrid/motor control units to make the service and safety org & the various global compliance agencies happy (sounds simple but it takes several hundred people globally to cover engine, trans, hybrid/EV, motor, battery controllers between the requirements / controls / software / calibration / verification / fleet teams)

Stable Genius

vCash
    And this backs up my thinking that the JL is the last time a V8 will be offered in a Wrangler. Guess I better start saving b/c I want one before they're gone.
    It won't be long before you will not be able to buy a V8 in anything. And I understand and get it completely. But it's also why I just ordered a Charger Scat Pack Widebody 392.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Daniels View Post
    It won't be long before you will not be able to buy a V8 in anything. And I understand and get it completely. But it's also why I just ordered a Charger Scat Pack Widebody 392.
    But Tesla model 3 will drag it 0-60. :MikeHawk:

vCash
    Not to be replaced by EVs broadly, but Turbo 6s which are still good, from what I see still decent longevity for them.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KrispyCharger View Post
    Not to be replaced by EVs broadly, but Turbo 6s which are still good, from what I see still decent longevity for them.
    But will sound like poopoo.

Stable Genius

vCash
    THIS THIS THIS.

And I don't care that it's not the fastest thing on the planet. EV's are boring as F.

That said, I'm 60 so I look forward to the day in 20 or 30 years when I hop in my EV Toyota Pious Monotonymobile and tell it to take me to the bar.

Registered Member

vCash

vCash
    That said, I'm 60 so I look forward to the day in 20 or 30 years when I hop in my EV Toyota Pious Monotonymobile and tell it to take me to the bar.
    And back.

vCash
    turbo I6 & V6s can sound good...but not as good as V8/V10/V12

vCash
    Dem I8s tho.

vCash
    I6's can sound good. I don't think I've ever heard a V6 sound decent though. Some of them, like the old GM 2.8 and 4.3 would sound OK-ish up to like 2k but then you just get that V6 groan. My old 2.8 V6 bird at idle to a few untrained ears could be passed off as a 305. Until you rode in it. Someone around me has an uncorked VQ37 in one of those Infinti X35s or whatever, and literally sounds like a flatulence machine as agreed upon by my 8 year old.

V10s always sounded odd too, though I've only heard the Viper and BMW V10s.

vCash
    Viper's sound weird to me... not flat out BAD, like a 4-6cylinder, just different. However, the Gallardo, Huracan, and R8 have V10's and sound great.

Still one of my favorite engine sound videos:

vCash
    Old GM (3.8/4.3) V6 were 90deg V8 with cylinders chopped off and were not the right block angle to have even spaced firing events so they sound weird, sounds like two 3 cylinders more than a V6.

Vipers V10s were 90deg V8s with cylinders tacked on and were not the right block angle to have even spaced firing events so they sound weird, sounds like two 5 cylinders more than a V10

Even firing V6/V10 do sound a whole lot better, they do need to get up in RPM to get to a really good sounding point IMO.

Stable Genius

vCash

vCash
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: GearheadSS
    Not always.

I think this sounds really good. V6 Camaro with dual mode exhaust.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Gearhead SS View Post
    Not always.

I think this sounds really good. V6 Camaro with dual mode exhaust.

Eh... still not a fan. Don't care for it. When it comes to a V6, the quieter, the better.
    Last edited by DANSBIRD; 07-15-2021 at 01:55 AM.