Thread: Fingers Crossed its the water pump and not a cracked block

Registered Member

vCash

Fingers Crossed its the water pump and not a cracked block

The wife's pride and joy, her 04 GTO, took a piss the last week. Water pours out from the front of the engine. Not any hoses from what I could see. I think she dismissed the flashing "water level low" alert on the dash. It was towed to my mechanic today so I'll find out later what the problem is.

In the event it is the block, I'd like to go with a fresh engine instead of a rebuilt one and I'm sure she will too. Looks like GM doesn't sell a short block, only long block. And I didn't see the LS1 on their website only the LS3. How many of the accessories can be taken off the LS1 and put on the LS3? Would the ECU be the same? What other things would need to be done with it?

OR, what other suggestions to ya'll have for this?

vCash
    If anything other than the water pump, it probably just blew a head gasket.

vCash
    And going from an LS1 to an LS3 is a lot more involved than simply changing the accessories. You're going from a Gen III engine to a Gen IV engine. I did this w/ my T/A and there is a good bit that has to be purchased to make it work. It'll be far easier and cheaper sticking w/ a Gen III engine.

Whataburger > *

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hunter98TA View Post
    The wife's pride and joy, her 04 GTO, took a piss the last week. Water pours out from the front of the engine. Not any hoses from what I could see. I think she dismissed the flashing "water level low" alert on the dash. It was towed to my mechanic today so I'll find out later what the problem is.

In the event it is the block, I'd like to go with a fresh engine instead of a rebuilt one and I'm sure she will too. Looks like GM doesn't sell a short block, only long block. And I didn't see the LS1 on their website only the LS3. How many of the accessories can be taken off the LS1 and put on the LS3? Would the ECU be the same? What other things would need to be done with it?

OR, what other suggestions to ya'll have for this?
    IIRC there is a weep hole on the bottom of the water pump where it can start leaking

had the same issue on my trailblazer

did it actually overheat?

seems unlikely that a stock engine (I'm assuming) would crack the block or blow a head gasket under normal driving conditions

vCash
    Unless she drove it till it quit my guess is the motor is fine once the leak is solved. If not just get it rebuilt locally.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BlazedTech View Post
    Unless she drove it till it quit my guess is the motor is fine once the leak is solved. If not just get it rebuilt locally.
    That's what I did w/ my Jeep. Tried to get it to the next exit and it shut itself off. Blew the head gasket, warped the head, etc... but the rest of the engine was fine. Got the head rebuilt and she's still going strong some 100K miles later.

Watch me just jinx it.

Registered Member

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Griswold View Post
    IIRC there is a weep hole on the bottom of the water pump where it can start leaking

had the same issue on my trailblazer

did it actually overheat?

seems unlikely that a stock engine (I'm assuming) would crack the block or blow a head gasket under normal driving conditions
    it is a steady stream that comes out and it looks like it is from the water pump but without a lift, I couldn't see it. Bone stock, woman driven, did not overheat and it has 107k miles.

vCash
    it is a steady stream that comes out and it looks like it is from the water pump but without a lift, I couldn't see it. Bone stock, woman driven, did not overheat and it has 107k miles.
    I bet the block is fine.

Registered Member

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BlazedTech View Post
    she probably drove about 9 miles from work to home. It was very hot out that day and the AC was on

Whataburger > *

vCash
    my guess is the water pump kicked the bucket

probably $100 for a new delco unit

easy swap

vCash
    Just get an engine out of an '08 Silverado for $250 and be done with it.

LS Swap

vCash
    water pump. I've had it happen a couple different times now on LT and LS cars. 99.9% chance everything else is fine.

vCash
    You really need to just call the shop, give them your cc info and tell them to order everything needed for an LT4 swap.

Registered Member

vCash
    water pump and thermostat housing. Had them change the plugs and wires too since it's too hard to get my hands in there. Will have it back this afternoon. So its my last day driving my son's 98 TA "attitude adjuster". I've had it for the past week while waiting for a spot to open at the mechanic's shop. What a fun, loud, fast car. LOL. All the truckers that saw it at work loved it and I had 6 offers to buy it.

Thanks guys, you always provide good info.
    Matt

I look reasonable, but I'm not. No F-bdy Bs's Avatar

vCash
    Cracked LS blocks are super rare.

vCash
    I can't stress how important it is that you disregard the futile attempts to keep your original engine and have an LT4 put in there.

The radiator is the only issue I had on my GTO. Because it's a plastic piece of shit

Registered Member

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nathan View Post
    The radiator is the only issue I had on my GTO. Because it's a plastic piece of shit
    That was replaced years ago.

Whataburger > *

vCash
    water pump and thermostat housing. Had them change the plugs and wires too since it's too hard to get my hands in there. Will have it back this afternoon. So its my last day driving my son's 98 TA "attitude adjuster". I've had it for the past week while waiting for a spot to open at the mechanic's shop. What a fun, loud, fast car. LOL. All the truckers that saw it at work loved it and I had 6 offers to buy it.

Thanks guys, you always provide good info.
    Matt