Thread: Midsize trucks: Tacoma vs. Frontier vs. other

Starminator Wars 2: Judgement Force ScotWithOne_R/T's Avatar

vCash
    Gamer IDs

Raptr ID: WhatinthefuckisRaptr

Midsize trucks: Tacoma vs. Frontier vs. other

What do you like better in this segment? The 2021 Frontier is dated now, and should be significantly cheaper than a Taco, but it isn't. The 2022 Frontier looks fantastic, and makes it feel like the cost similarity is justifiable. But that Toyota indestructible reliability tho...

2021 Frontiers are dated, simply becaise they've been around forever, but I still think they look kinda cool, especially in Pro-4X trim.

The interior is really where it's showing it's age though

The 2022 Frontier looks really nice.

The interior is modern and goodly too

The Taco looks good too.

Ford Ranger is okay... I'd rather have an N/A V6 over a turbo-4 though, and the Tacoma and Frontier look way better.
    I tried to option out a GMC Canyon, and it to get similar options it was looking like $5k more
    Honda Ridgeline is nice, but also more money, and slightly larger, almost full-sized.
    The new Maverick looks like a great little pickup, but nobody's actually tested it yet. Hybrid option seems nice, but I'd rather just have a full electric version rather than both gas and electric systems to maintain and break down.
    Hyundai Santa Cruz would be a contender if it were $5k cheaper. For the money you can get the Maverick which seems better overall, and even Hybrid, if you want that.
    Jeep Gladiator is... uhh... different... But also too expensive.

vCash
    I think you can still get the 2.8 diesel in the mid-size GM twins. I guess it depends on what you want to do with it. I still think the ZR2 Colorado is the best of the midsize.

I'm actually quite excited about the Maverick, although that's truly a compact now.

vCash
    I couldn't choose a Nissan over a Toyota if reliability was even a consideration.

The other autistic day-trading Dr. Discount Dr. Burry's Avatar

vCash
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: blunt_dissection
    Quote Originally Posted by silverSS View Post
    I couldn't choose a Nissan over a Toyota if reliability was even a consideration.
    Old frontier was basically same mode from 2005-2019. Ancient v6 and auto. Not much in way of electronics. Just really isn’t much there to break. I have a 2013 with 80k miles and not a single issue. Biggest complaint is their shit turning radius.

2020 has new motor/trans. Strangely doesn’t seem faster or more economical.

vCash
    Wouldn’t even consider the Nissan or Toyota. Toyota’s been resting on their reputation for about the last 20 years. Their trucks are nothing special in any segments. Pay the extra money for a GM. Even the outdated Ford is a much better option.
    Last edited by 5.0THIS; 07-15-2021 at 06:51 AM.

vCash
    I'd get a Colorado ZR2. Those trucks look good.

vCash
    Frontier was "supposed to" get a BT4.

Stable Genius

vCash
    The Frontier looks nice except for the front end and the 1980's interior. That interior is a dealbreaker.

vCash
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Locker537
    A huge positive for the Tacoma is reliability and resale.

Personally, I'm only interested in full size trucks at this point but I've owned a Tacoma for 10 years.

vCash
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Davy_Baby9 View Post
    I think you can still get the 2.8 diesel in the mid-size GM twins. I guess it depends on what you want to do with it. I still think the ZR2 Colorado is the best of the midsize.

I'm actually quite excited about the Maverick, although that's truly a compact now.
    Yeah, a compact truck would probably suit me best, but Maverick and Santa Cruz (which is kinda in a class of its own) are the only options RN. I hope they both sell like hotcakes and the other brands make something in that segment. A Rav-4 based trucklet would be nice, especially if they offered it with a longer bed and a smaller rear seat. I'm hesitant to buy a hybrid-anything at this point though, since there are just that many more parts to fail. I think I'd rather have ICE or EV, not both.

vCash
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Locker537 View Post
    A huge positive for the Tacoma is reliability and resale.

Personally, I'm only interested in full size trucks at this point but I've owned a Tacoma for 10 years.
    I used to not care as much about resale, since I would buy cheaper cars and drive them until they were worth $2k, but if I spend $30-35k on a vehicle and trade it in in 5 years, resale value is a bigger selling point. And Toyotas hold their value really well.

vCash
    I can't imagine going with the Nissan at any point, the old one is so dated, and the new one I'd be hesitant to trust reliability on.

Tacoma is a known quantity but definitely give it a good test drive - lot of complaints about interior comfort and the power train.

No complaints with my Colorado but I have a basic LT.

No direct experience with the Ranger.

Truck resale right now is crazy good regardless of brand.

vCash
    The Tacoma would be a home run if they just gave it more power/larger engine, etc... That's been the largest complaint about them. However, one of the largest Pros is their reliability, which they have a tried & true engine to thank for that... so I can understand their reluctance in making an engine change.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ScotWithOne_R/T View Post
    Yeah, a compact truck would probably suit me best, but Maverick and Santa Cruz (which is kinda in a class of its own) are the only options RN. I hope they both sell like hotcakes and the other brands make something in that segment. A Rav-4 based trucklet would be nice, especially if they offered it with a longer bed and a smaller rear seat. I'm hesitant to buy a hybrid-anything at this point though, since there are just that many more parts to fail. I think I'd rather have ICE or EV, not both.
    My only disappointment with the Maverick is that the hybrid is only available in FWD, winters here suck and it’s kinda the purpose of having a winter vehicle is to have it 4wd.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by silverSS View Post
    I couldn't choose a Nissan.
    This. The Frontier is one of their better vehicles too but ultimately, fuck Nissan.

vCash
    The only smaller truck I'd buy right now is the Colorado. My gf has one and if the bed was a little bigger I would be driving one instead of my silverado.

vCash
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Davy_Baby9 View Post
    My only disappointment with the Maverick is that the hybrid is only available in FWD, winters here suck and it’s kinda the purpose of having a winter vehicle is to have it 4wd.
    I don't understand why they didn't use the ICE to drive the front or rear wheels, and put electric motors on the opposite wheels. Would have been a low cost AWD system great for low speeds where you need AWD in snow and mud anyway.