Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Its finally time - Officially on the search for my Porsche

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Locker537 View Post
    That car looks nice, but I have a hard time with that price!

There was a 993 track car for sale locally for 55K, and you can flog the hell out of it all day everyday

Def go check it out, but don't feel pressured.
    It’s not an easy pill to swallow, but it’s also not as much of a premium as I was expecting. Prices are stupid right now. Oh and if I do buy from Holt my buddy at the tuner shop said he’d do a PPI for me, so another thing I don’t need to coordinate.

Not sold on it, just sorta typing out my thoughts. Everyone’s feedback, even Mike Hawk’s (), is incredibly helpful.
    Last edited by Anthony; 10-12-2021 at 10:49 PM.

vCash
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Locker537
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
    It’s not an easy pill to swallow, but it’s also not as much of a premium as I was expecting. Prices are stupid right now. Oh and if I do buy from Holt my buddy at the tuner shop said he’d do a PPI for me, so another thing I don’t need to coordinate.

Not sold on it, just sorta typing out my thoughts. Everyone’s feedback, even Mike Hawk’s (), is incredibly helpful.
    This is why I start with how you want to use the car.

Are you going to be comfortable putting miles on that knowing that it's likely hurting resale?

Tangent, at 100K I'd be trying to get my hands on a GT4.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ChillPhatCat View Post
    I dont think Anthony is concerned about ROI here.
    I dont consider it an investment, so correct, Im not concerned with ROI. Having said thst, I wouldnt be dropping this sort of money for a new car/something that still has substantial depreciation left.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Locker537 View Post
    This is why I start with how you want to use the car.

Tangent, at 100K I'd be trying to get my hands on a GT4.
    Are you trying to kill me?

I can’t see me putting more than 3-5K miles a year, so I’m not really concerned

vCash
    Ok, so I found out this car is $100k

https://www.holtmotorsports.com/cari...php?vin=323370

Not as much as a premium as I expected. The two black ones I posted have 92k+ miles, are out of state, and arent from as reputable of a seller. I dont like red (at least I think I dont lol) but I think this pretty much solidified my decision to just be patient and wait until he gets a car I love. Im going to go over there on Friday.
    So what kind of price range would you be looking at for an 85 or 86 911 in similar condition?

vCash

What the cluck?

vCash
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: GldRush98 Steam ID: GldRush98
    Quote Originally Posted by windham View Post
    Beautiful

vCash
    So what kind of price range would you be looking at for an 85 or 86 911 in similar condition?
    For reference, Holt had a 100k mile ‘86 back in January and was askimg $59k. So figure prices are within 5-10% of a 993 for similar mileage/options/etc. From what I’m seeing, the 80s cars are trending up while the 993 is remaining steady. But that’s anecdotal.

vCash
    For reference, Holt had a 100k mile ‘86 back in January and was askimg $59k. So figure prices are within 5-10% of a 993 for similar mileage/options/etc. From what I’m seeing, the 80s cars are trending up while the 993 is remaining steady. But that’s anecdotal.
    Man I would definitely drop that coinage on a properly maintained mid 80s 911.

I shall meet with district's superintendent and inform him that I need my salary trippled.

vCash
    911s made leaps and bounds in terms of technology and user-friendliness between the mid 80s and the 993. No question the 993 is the much better car, and the pinnacle of air cooled porsches.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 5.0THIS View Post
    911s made leaps and bounds in terms of technology and user-friendliness between the mid 80s and the 993. No question the 993 is the much better car, and the pinnacle of air cooled porsches.
    Did we finally become friends?!

Maybe don't wear a bra next time... Darkmatter's Avatar

vCash
    I’m still catching up on Porsche generations. That being said the 1997 Turbo S looks fucking amazing

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkmatter View Post
    I’m still catching up on Porsche generations. That being said the 1997 Turbo S looks fucking amazing
    Indeed it does.

vCash
    Did we finally become friends?!
    Probably not , but I’ve driven both (my uncle had a pristine silver 993 6 speed) and I’m just offering an opinion. That’s not to say a mid 80s Porsche isn’t a great and fun car, but a 993 is a far less quirky and much more livable car. And you still get a good bit more performance without losing a substantial amount of the Porsche “charm.”
    Last edited by 5.0THIS; 10-13-2021 at 07:55 AM.

vCash
    Probably not, but I’ve driven both (my uncle had a pristine silver 993 6 speed) and I’m just offering an opinion. That’s not to say a mid 80s Porsche isn’t a great and fun car, but a 993 is a far less quirky and much more livable car. And you still get a good bit more performance without losing a substantial amount of the Porsche “charm.”
    Plus a 6 speed and an AC that actually blows cold.

Maybe don't wear a bra next time... Darkmatter's Avatar

vCash
    This seems like decent buy. Id imagine these will be every bit the collector item the earlier Porsches are but what do I know

2014 Porsche 911 GT3 Coupe RWD - $139,999

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/l-Used...305254255/NONE

vCash
    Oy definitely, like I said earlier the 911 has gotten better with each new generation, but I am like Anthony in regards to driving ability. So (just speaking for myself) I would sacrifice the better tech, higher HP, better track capabilites ..etc., for that classic design of the ones like the 86 models that have been posted in here.

I am the same with a few others too, I would take 69 ragtop acorvette over a new C8, Miura over whatever Lamborghini's current top of the line is, a 250 GT California Spyer over whatever the top of the line for Ferrari is today...

Also yes I know a Miura and a 250 GT are worth more than a new lambo or Ferrari, but if they were less I would still choose them. I know I am not going to be on an actual track, never going to push a car to 200+ MPH..
    I don't have that skill, so I take form over function I guess. Plus (again just my personal opinion) the older and more purely mechanical rides are more fun to drive for me.

Also I can admit that there is a nostalgia factor, I mean Ferris Bueller came out when I was a kid, I had a Miura poster in my bedroom, I grew up in the 80s and the 911 with the "whale tail" spoiler was every kids dream car I think.

vCash
    I'll go back to the 90s for anything I'd want to own at this point in my life. With only a few exceptions, cars built in the 80s and earlier really did suck from a pure performance and safety standpoint. Styling wise, sure, lots of great looking cars from the 80s and older, but that's where the desire ends for me.

I feel like a 993 still gets you the classic styling and character of a porsche, but it's actually safe(r), and a much better driving car.

vCash
    Oy definitely, like I said earlier the 911 has gotten better with each new generation, but I am like Anthony in regards to driving ability. So (just speaking for myself) I would sacrifice the better tech, higher HP, better track capabilites ..etc., for that classic design of the ones like the 86 models that have been posted in here.

I am the same with a few others too, I would take 69 ragtop acorvette over a new C8, Miura over whatever Lamborghini's current top of the line is, a 250 GT California Spyer over whatever the top of the line for Ferrari is today...

Also yes I know a Miura and a 250 GT are worth more than a new lambo or Ferrari, but if they were less I would still choose them. I know I am not going to be on an actual track, never going to push a car to 200+ MPH..
    I don't have that skill, so I take form over function I guess. Plus (again just my personal opinion) the older and more purely mechanical rides are more fun to drive for me.

Also I can admit that there is a nostalgia factor, I mean Ferris Bueller came out when I was a kid, I had a Miura poster in my bedroom, I grew up in the 80s and the 911 with the "whale tail" spoiler was every kids dream car I think.
    It makes perfect sense that you’d prefer the 80s cars over a 993 purely for nostalgia. For me, I was 9-12 when the 993 came out - it’s been one of my childhood dream cars.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by g6t6o View Post
    Beautiful car, but it’s going to go for $150k+

vCash
    Oh, that is sweet.

Oh I think they like me Tunavelli's Avatar

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkmatter View Post
    This seems like decent buy. I’d imagine these will be every bit the collector item the earlier Porsche’s are but what do I know

2014 Porsche 911 GT3 Coupe RWD - $139,999

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/l-Used...305254255/NONE
    That's a 991.1 GT3 which were PDK only. They're a cool car obviously and will probably never drop too far, but the .2 manuals will be and already are the desirable ones. Although they have made a million of them so they'll probably never get too too crazy. Look at what happened with the .1 911Rs values when the .2 GT3s and GT3 Toruings came out, and those actually were a limited model.

SW:240 CW:234.6 GW:200 Mike Hawk's Avatar

vCash
    I'm such a modern tech and spec snob. I think I have more nostalgia for my 1983 Ford Ranger 4 cyl auto peg leg manual windows AM radio that died at almost every stop light unless you threw it in neutral and reved it. I never see myself getting an old classic again, just isn't worth the hastle. Now maybe a resto mod 3rd Gen F-bod or '67 'Maro with an updated interior and a Plaid powertrain, then we might be talkin

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Hawk View Post
    I'm such a modern tech and spec snob. I think I have more nostalgia for my 1983 Ford Ranger 4 cyl auto peg leg manual windows AM radio that died at almost every stop light unless you threw it in neutral and reved it. I never see myself getting an old classic again, just isn't worth the hastle. Now maybe a resto mod 3rd Gen F-bod or '67 'Maro with an updated interior and a Plaid powertrain, then we might be talkin
    If I get sick of 90s amenities but otherwise love the car, I’ll do something fun with it. I just need to wait for my wife to get out of residency.

vCash
    Now maybe a resto mod 3rd Gen F-bod or '67 'Maro with an updated interior and a Plaid powertrain, then we might be talkin
    LMAO that would be a complete logistical nightmare.

vCash
    LMAO that would be a complete logistical nightmare.
    Oh hell yeah. No way I'd be DIY'ing that crap. I'd pay to have a pro shop do that nightmare.

vCash
    Oh hell yeah. No way I'd be DIY'ing that crap. I'd pay to have a pro shop do that nightmare.
    You ok with them buying and tearing down a brand new plaid and discarding the carcus?

vCash
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: FASTPACE1105
    I agree, but the issue is that these wants quickly become $$$. For instance, I would LOVE a Forest Green 993 over beige. But this combo is rare and trades at a pretty high premium. Sport seats with hardbacks are also great, but youre paying $5k for them. At that point, Id rather put the money into something thats mechanically sound, and thats sorta whats drawing me to Holts. Its either I hunt for specific options and try to get a decent deal to stay in budget or I just say fuck it, dont be picky about options but be reasonably assured that the car is top quality. Top quality + top options is going to be too $$$

Now having said all of that, I still think your advice is sound for things like coupe/targa/cab. Ive found myself trying to rationalize a targa or cab, but I REALLY want a coupe (preferably without a sunroof). Thats a line in the sand I should probably draw and not cross. Because I know that if I did a cab, Id regret it. I could possibly get over a targa, but at the end of the day I really, really want a coupe and I should probably stay true to that.
    I finally got the chance to sit down at a computer and write a more complete response, I don't think I quite portrayed it correctly before.

What you should do is get out and get hands on with them. Most of your research so far has been online which is great to understand the specs and differences, but you're likely to find something that you really like or don't like in person. Visit several shops and learn the walk and talk. Meet owners and find what they like or don't like about their different models, and then start to make those informed decisions in your head. In the end, I think you'll arrive at a few different configurations and models that would be ideal for you. Then you set out and shop more to find the deal.

The big plus on this is you'll be more informed going in. As you look the car over yourself, you'll have learned few key things that maybe you want to check. You'll know it's had "xxx" replaced so that is good and a headache I won't have or it hasn't had "yyy" replaced yet so I'll need to replace it but at least I can have a reputable shop do it. You'll feel comfortable and confident in the decision, and will know when you should walk away.

Lastly, don't get hung up on a shop or a person. Talk and visit others and form your own opinion, you'll find there's multiple good people out there and then just determine who fits best for you. We did similar for the Cobra, I talked to about 8 different shops, visited 4, and out of all of it 2 were a great fit for us. In the end, I called the guy of the shop we didn't go with to thank him for his help and time for our visit and would keep in touch.

vCash

vCash
    Beautiful car, but its going to go for $150k+
    And? Go big or go home!!

vCash
    And? Go big or go home!!
    It actually sold for $121,993.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Fastpace View Post
    I finally got the chance to sit down at a computer and write a more complete response, I don't think I quite portrayed it correctly before.

What you should do is get out and get hands on with them. Most of your research so far has been online which is great to understand the specs and differences, but you're likely to find something that you really like or don't like in person. Visit several shops and learn the walk and talk. Meet owners and find what they like or don't like about their different models, and then start to make those informed decisions in your head. In the end, I think you'll arrive at a few different configurations and models that would be ideal for you. Then you set out and shop more to find the deal.

The big plus on this is you'll be more informed going in. As you look the car over yourself, you'll have learned few key things that maybe you want to check. You'll know it's had "xxx" replaced so that is good and a headache I won't have or it hasn't had "yyy" replaced yet so I'll need to replace it but at least I can have a reputable shop do it. You'll feel comfortable and confident in the decision, and will know when you should walk away.

Lastly, don't get hung up on a shop or a person. Talk and visit others and form your own opinion, you'll find there's multiple good people out there and then just determine who fits best for you. We did similar for the Cobra, I talked to about 8 different shops, visited 4, and out of all of it 2 were a great fit for us. In the end, I called the guy of the shop we didn't go with to thank him for his help and time for our visit and would keep in touch.

Agree - I need to get off the couch and go start looking in person. I’m looking forward to visiting Holt’s Friday. I’ve driven by his shop, and it’s probably incredible lol

Make it three yards... redy2kss's Avatar

vCash
    To you?

vCash
    That black one had been repainted and was involved in a minor rear end collision. Both of those are negatives to me considering how much the car went for. And at that price point you can get into a much newer and more capable GT3 if you wanted.

vCash
    That black one had been repainted and was involved in a minor rear end collision. Both of those are negatives to me considering how much the car went for. And at that price point you can get into a much newer and more capable GT3 if you wanted.
    Agree. It’s still a pretty good deal in this market, though. Good for me either way.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by redy2kss View Post
    To you?
    No.

vCash
    Gamer IDs

I'm glad I like beat up race and track cars.

This car has me drooling - https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...1-carrera-2-2/

vCash
    Crashedtoys.com has a 2013 911 Carrera 4S for auction ending in 7 days. It's appears to have relatively light rear and front damage....there's a video of it on their YouTube channel.

vCash
    Its finally time... For you to YOLO

https://www.foxnews.com/auto/singers...gatti-for-sale

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nbmplano View Post
    Its finally time... For you to YOLO

https://www.foxnews.com/auto/singers...gatti-for-sale
    That has your name written all over it.

vCash
    Just buy a Tesla model S plaid. :mikehawk:

The other autistic day-trading Dr. Discount Dr. Burry's Avatar

vCash
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: blunt_dissection

I would LOVE to have that 2007 turbo.

that 1991 turbo is pretty damn sweet too.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Discount Dr. Burry View Post

Yup I would take that 2007 out of any of them I linked prob.

vCash
    You ok with them buying and tearing down a brand new plaid and discarding the carcus?
    Guy has already bought a totaled Plaid and putting the rear guts in a Viper GTS

https://www.reddit.com/r/teslamotors...m_source=share

vCash
    I really like that ‘96, but if you check out the invoices it had a supercharger at some point. The fact hs doesn’t explicitly mention this in the ad leaves me to wonder what else he’s leaving out. Also, those invoices confirm that I should probably spend up to get a well maintained, documented car.
    Last edited by Anthony; 10-14-2021 at 10:57 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Discount Dr. Burry View Post

Buy it.

vCash
    Oh shit, the ‘88 is white over red?! I fucking LOVE that combo.

vCash
    I've always listed after the GT2....

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2003-porsche-gt2-13/

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Potent68 View Post
    I've always listed after the GT2....

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2003-porsche-gt2-13/
    Ok... It moved. Absolutely love those cars. One of my top Pcars for sure.

vCash
    Guy has already bought a totaled Plaid and putting the rear guts in a Viper GTS

https://www.reddit.com/r/teslamotors...m_source=share
    I get the restomod, because small block chevies have been done to the point of boredom, but in a Viper? That's just retarded.

vCash
    Gamer IDs

I really like that ‘96, but if you check out the invoices it had a supercharger at some point. The fact hs doesn’t explicitly mention this in the ad leaves me to wonder what else he’s leaving out. Also, those invoices confirm that I should probably spend up to get a well maintained, documented car.
    Yes, exactly.

The rough numbers are:
    1. Budget $10K for a top end rebuild of the engine. A full rebuild is double or triple if you go wild.
    2. Budget $5K for a transaxle rebuild

People always recommend a pre-purchase inspection, which I generally agree with on these cars especially if the owner will allow a reputable shop to do a compression and leak down test.

I love the look of an air-cooled turbo, but the NA engines are my jam.

Registered Member speed_demon24's Avatar

vCash
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: spddmn24

vCash
    Literally would have sex with that car

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by speed_demon24 View Post

If I did end up doing some sort of resto-mod, this would be my inspiration.

Can I borrow $600k?
    Last edited by Anthony; 10-14-2021 at 07:52 PM.

vCash
    959 is cool af

Registered Member speed_demon24's Avatar

vCash
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: spddmn24

If I did end up doing some sort of resto-mod, this would be my inspiration.

Can I borrow $600k?
    https://lmgtfy.app/?q=how+much+is+a+kidney+worth

vCash
    Gamer IDs

That 88 currently on BaT is a nice car, but is going to sell for the top end and/or over market because it's on BaT.

Low miles, good history, and people love the 87-89 impact bumper cars as they seem them as the last "original" 911.