Page 1 of 17 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Its finally time - Officially on the search for my Porsche

vCash

Its finally time - Officially on the search for my Porsche

I think Ive finally run out of excuses to keep delaying my dream. Moved out of the city? Check. Have a garage? Check. House decently furnished and put together? Check. Garage cleaned out? Check. New job/more disposable income? Check. No more excuses? Check.

With that said, Im going to take my time and really explore all of the options. I would like to get something soon, but Im willing to wait for the right car. Which brings up the inevitable question - What, exactly, is the right car?

Im considering a few different options. Up until tonight, and in no particular order, I had narrowed it down to: 1) 997.1 Turbo, 2) 996 GT3, 3) 993, 4) 930. I figured this provides enough options and I can just let the deal determine my decision.

But of course, I cant keep things simple. I stumbled upon a local builder who isnt as known as Singer, GW, RSR, etc., but who has a similarly outstanding reputation. I reached out to them and I have a call to discuss some options tomorrow. Unfortunately, Im almost certain that a full custom build is out of my budget. So then I started thinking about it, and Im becoming more and more intrigued about getting a decently sorted SC, driving it for a season (or less), and then having them do a restoration. Major benefit of this is I dont have to foot a huge bill all at once (Ill readily admit that the thought of writing a 6 figure check for a car gives me some angina. ) Getting a drivable car for $40-60k is much less anxiety-inducing. Downside is that the build time is probably 12-18 months+.

Open to thoughts and opinions on any of these (or other) options as long as its a 911. Im particularly interested in hearing experiences on custom/restoration projects (even if its not a Porsche).

SW:240 CW:234.6 GW:200 Mike Hawk's Avatar

vCash
    I'll have a Plaid before you have a sorted P car.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Hawk View Post
    I'll have a Plaid before you have a sorted P car.

OCD brothers with commitment issues and spending anxiety, unite!

vCash
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: FASTPACE1105
    I'm far from a Porsche expert, or well I know virtually nothing but very familiar with owning and building cars at various levels.

Why do you want to have a car built by the local shop? Generally, you would never come close to recovering your investment.

Why not just buy, then if you want an upgrade then upgrade the model? Will hold value, and in any cases of a Porsche probably appreciate.

If you haven't already, find your local Prosche Club and go to some meetings. Have been to a couple in Houston and have found Porsche guys are some of the more down to earth groups of the "exotics".

Set out what your priorities are and see what fits best. Is it something you want long term or just fill a short term hole and then upgrade? Will help you decide if you want to compromise for a good deal. If you want to keep, don't compromise, wait and pay to get what you want it's worth the couple extra $k.

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Fastpace View Post
    I'm far from a Porsche expert, or well I know virtually nothing but very familiar with owning and building cars at various levels.

Why do you want to have a car built by the local shop? Generally, you would never come close to recovering your investment.

Why not just buy, then if you want an upgrade then upgrade the model? Will hold value, and in any cases of a Porsche probably appreciate.

If you haven't already, find your local Prosche Club and go to some meetings. Have been to a couple in Houston and have found Porsche guys are some of the more down to earth groups of the "exotics".

Set out what your priorities are and see what fits best. Is it something you want long term or just fill a short term hole and then upgrade? Will help you decide if you want to compromise for a good deal. If you want to keep, don't compromise, wait and pay to get what you want it's worth the couple extra $k.

Local shop is an intriguing option because I could build to my taste and ensure that it’s mechanically sound. I would love the option of buying a car they already built, and that’s one of my questions for tomorrow - do they have any completed cars for sale?

Going to a local club meeting is probably a good idea.

I definitely am buying with the intention of keeping it. I am not buying as an investment, but I love that Porsches retain value.

vCash
    Anthony if he goes down the custom build route
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bZp-ZhWw5Fo&t=1554s#

vCash
    Just don’t get the girl version.

vCash
    Do it. I was thinking about doing the same thing several years ago. I wanted to do a singer-like wide body 930. There have been a few here in Dallas (as well as some Singers) and I just love the look. I wouldn’t do a fake RS, I would just go straight wide body. Would also need houndstooth seats. This was when I had my 991 TT. Haven’t really thought about it since I sold the turbo.

This was also when I lived a little closer to a very good Pcar mechanic.
    Last edited by nbmplano; 10-09-2021 at 04:33 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nbmplano View Post
    Do it. I was thinking about doing the same thing several years ago. I wanted to do a singer-like wide body 930. There have been a few here in Dallas (as well as some Singers) and I just love the look. I wouldn’t do a fake RS, I would just go straight wide body. Would also need houndstooth seats. This was when I had my 991 TT. Haven’t really thought about it since I sold the turbo.

This was also when I lived a little closer to a very good Pcar mechanic.
    I actually have several shops that are very, very highly regarded. And this builder also does service.

On a related note, Holt’s is only about 15 minutes away, too. He has incredible cars, but they’re $$$.
    Last edited by Anthony; 10-09-2021 at 07:45 PM.

Stable Genius

vCash
    This.

The other autistic day-trading Dr. Discount Dr. Burry's Avatar

vCash
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: blunt_dissection
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Daniels View Post
    This.

just something about them

vCash
    I spoke with the shop today. Awesome dude! As expected, the price for a complete rebuild was way out of budget. Well I mean the rebuild was only slightly above what I want to spend, but you need a donor.

He suggested, since this is my first 911, to get a really well sorted car and drive it for awhile before doing anything. He said there’s really no sense in changing things until I know what I want to change, which makes sense. Beyond that, he gave me some dealers that he loves getting cars from (including Holt’s). We ended up shooting the shit for about 45 minutes and he’s an awesome, super, super knowledgeable guy. He invited me to the shop to check out builds and see what’s possible. It was really refreshing to have him be so candid and straightforward.

Another interesting takeaway that will help guide my decision is that Gbodies are much more modifiable than 993s. I’m not sure if that’s a good thing or a bad thing yet, but it’s a thing.

I have my eye on this car ATM:

https://www.holtmotorsports.com/cari...php?vin=121065

I spoke with Tim a few months ago about a high mileage but meticulously maintained ‘86. His prices are certainly high, but it’s apparently worth it
    Last edited by Anthony; 10-09-2021 at 10:38 PM.

vCash
    Gamer IDs

Wouldn’t say no to the 2010 Carrera S.

Or the 2011 turbo S.

vCash
    This.

Anymore pics of this?

vCash
    This.

That is perfection.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony View Post

Anymore pics of this?
    Here ya go, Jack. Come down and let’s do a deal for two.

https://www.holtmotorsports.com/cari...p?vin=121253_2

vCash

Anymore pics of this?
    Here ya go, Jack. Come down and lets do a deal for two.

Maybe don't wear a bra next time... Darkmatter's Avatar

vCash
    Very cool. If you find a potential car near me just let me know and I'll go look at it for you.

I don't know much about Porsches but this one seems to be a good buy.

https://www.carfax.com/vehicle/WP0AD2A97BS766798

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkmatter View Post
    Very cool. If you find a potential car near me just let me know and I'll go look at it for you.

I don't know much about Porsches but this one seems to be a good buy.

https://www.carfax.com/vehicle/WP0AD2A97BS766798
    Looks nice, but the miles and auto bring it down.

I have my eye on this one, but I keep talking myself back to a 993. This dude recently had a 996 GT3 from the same builder that sold for low six figures. I think the builder focuses on track cars https://www.kinningerracing.com/

https://www.pcarmarket.com/auction/1...911-carrera-3/

If I don’t do a 993, I’m going to be picky af and only consider birth year cars (I know, dumb, but whatever). At this point, I think I’m pretty settled on air cooled.
    Last edited by Anthony; 10-10-2021 at 10:48 AM.

vCash
    Those mid 80s 911s are sexy AF. A guy that lives around me has a black one that is pristine. If the weather is nice I usually see it on a Saturday or Sunday. I love those cars. I would take one of them over a new 911 and yes, I know a new 911 would kill the mid 80s version in every road test you can think of but I love those old whale tail 911s.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by windham View Post
    Those mid 80s 911s are sexy AF. A guy that lives around me has a black one that is pristine. If the weather is nice I usually see it on a Saturday or Sunday. I love those cars. I would take one of them over a new 911 and yes, I know a new 911 would kill the mid 80s version in every road test you can think of but I love those old whale tail 911s.
    They are certainly sexy af. I’m going to try to head over to Holt’s this week to check out the white ‘86 I posted above.

vCash
    Looks nice, but the miles and auto bring it down.

I have my eye on this one, but I keep talking myself back to a 993. This dude recently had a 996 GT3 from the same builder that sold for low six figures. I think the builder focuses on track cars https://www.kinningerracing.com/

https://www.pcarmarket.com/auction/1...911-carrera-3/

If I dont do a 993, Im going to be picky af and only consider birth year cars (I know, dumb, but whatever). At this point, I think Im pretty settled on air cooled.
    Okay now I see what youre after and Im digging it. Very cool! The car you posted is like 10 minutes from me. Small world.

vCash

The only thing I don’t like about these is the horse dick shifter.

Registered Member

vCash
    They are certainly sexy af. I’m going to try to head over to Holt’s this week to check out the white ‘86 I posted above.
    I hope you get it too!!!

Love those 86's. Guy at work bought one new but it was blue. I drove it a little bit and fell in love. New ones, that's a nope. Only thing I don't like are the black, huge rear bumper guards.

Stable Genius

vCash

vCash
    I have a lead on a car out in Chicago - black on beige 993 with 92k miles. Engine was completely rebuilt. The car looks clean, but it’s a driver (which I want). I was in touch with the seller earlier today, and I’m waiting on more info/pics. He posted the car on RL last month but didn’t get any bites. I was able to find the last listing from 2014, and the previous owner is a PCA driving instructor of 30+ years ago who bought the car from another PCA guy. On top of that, he owned it for 13 years and the car has 20+ years of records. He says he is preparing to list it on BAT…I’d love to have a shot at it before he does if everything checks out.

I also came across this black on black one from a dealer in Nashville. The car looks very nice, but I read some iffy reviews on this place. Could still be an option, and coordinating a PPI/sale/shipping would be less of a headache with a dealer.

https://www.jpfrazier.com/vehicles/528/1996-porsche-993
    Last edited by Anthony; 10-11-2021 at 12:10 PM.

vCash
    Gamer IDs

That’s a nice looking car.

As you know l, maintenance is key. So, story sounds good if it was maintained as well as it seems.

vCash
    I have a lead on a car out in Chicago - black on beige 993 with 92k miles. Engine was completely rebuilt. The car looks clean, but it’s a driver (which I want). I was in touch with the seller earlier today, and I’m waiting on more info/pics. He posted the car on RL last month but didn’t get any bites. I was able to find the last listing from 2014, and the previous owner is a PCA driving instructor of 30+ years ago who bought the car from another PCA guy. On top of that, he owned it for 13 years and the car has 20+ years of records. He says he is preparing to list it on BAT…I’d love to have a shot at it before he does if everything checks out.

I also came across this black on black one from a dealer in Nashville. The car looks very nice, but I read some iffy reviews on this place. Could still be an option, and coordinating a PPI/sale/shipping would be less of a headache with a dealer.

https://www.jpfrazier.com/vehicles/528/1996-porsche-993
    That 993 looks sick with those wheels... the stockers are such a disappointment on 993's.

vCash
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Locker537
    Anthony,
    I've owned a 1979 911 SC for a couple years now. I'm happy to talk at length and answer any questions you might have.

I didn't explicitly hunt for an SC, but was focused on SC, Carrera, and 964.

How do you plan to use the car? What do you want to do with it? In my opinion, that's the best place to start. There's no wrong answers, but the "right car" will be very different based on how you plan to use it.

Obligatory booty pic:

Last edited by Locker537; 10-12-2021 at 01:08 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Locker537 View Post
    Anthony,
    I've owned a 1979 911 SC for a couple years now. I'm happy to talk at length and answer any questions you might have.

I didn't explicitly hunt for an SC, but was focused on SC, Carrera, and 964.

How do you plan to use the car? What do you want to do with it? In my opinion, that's the best place to start. There's no wrong answers, but the "right car" will be very different based on how you plan to use it.

Obligatory booty pic:

Weekend fun car. May do some local meets/drives - the community in this area is very active from what I can tell.

I don’t want a show car, but I want something turnkey, reliable, and fun. I’d love to stay out of the six figure range, especially since I’m intrigued about getting work done down the line. Still drawn to a 993, but I’d pull the trigger on a nice ‘86 if the right deal came up. At this point, I’m focused on air cooled, so the 996/997 are out. Even if a great deal came up on a GT3 or Turbo, air cooled is a better fit for me.

Do you know anything about 993s? I’d love to have you take a look at this ad (still waiting on the guy to get back to me after touching base last night).
    Last edited by Anthony; 10-12-2021 at 01:37 AM.

vCash
    Do you have the skills to drive one of these hard or just looking to put on some gloves and cruise town? Easy to get hurt in one without lots of practice.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BlazedTech View Post
    Do you have the skills to drive one of these hard or just looking to put on some gloves and cruise town? Easy to get hurt in one without lots of practice.
    I can vouch for that. I got a chance to drive one on a road course at pace many years ago. It was set up for vintage racing. My dad had to warn me at the time since I was used to a formula Ford on the same track. Fucker was a handful in comparison. Car getting some oversteer at the apex? Keep your damn foot down.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BlazedTech View Post
    I do not have the skills to drive any car hard. But being able to admit that is a skill in and of itself.

But more seriously, that’s one of the main reasons I want to go air cooled. As awesome as a GT3 or Turbo would be, the air cooled is just so much more practical for me.

Stable Genius

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 5.0THIS View Post
    I can vouch for that. I got a chance to drive one on a road course at pace many years ago. It was set up for vintage racing. My dad had to warn me at the time since I was used to a formula Ford on the same track. Fucker was a handful in comparison. Car getting some oversteer at the apex? Keep your damn foot down.
    Ive only driven an air cooled 911 once and it wasnt a turbo. Ive always read that its super easy to swap ends on them.

I also remember reading about their turbo lag. I think the quote was something like it goes from docile to being hit in the ass with a baseball bat and all hell breaks loose.

This one's for you, Nell cuda6pak's Avatar

vCash
    Im just glad you ditched the Z06 consideration

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cuda6pak View Post
    I’m just glad you ditched the Z06 consideration
    Yea, as badass as they are I won’t get as much fun out of one. I live off of an awesome twisty road, and there are more awesome roads around here than I can count. It just screams ‘air cooled.’

vCash
    I’ve only driven an air cooled 911 once and it wasn’t a turbo. I’ve always read that it’s super easy to swap ends on them.

I also remember reading about their turbo lag. I think the quote was something like “it goes from docile to being hit in the ass with a baseball bat and all hell breaks loose”.

Yea, lol. As I’m getting more serious about getting one, I quickly disregarded a 930. I mean they’re totally bad ass, but I don’t want to have to explain to my wife wh they’re nicknamed “widow maker”

vCash
    Gamer IDs

Weekend fun car. May do some local meets/drives - the community in this area is very active from what I can tell.

I don’t want a show car, but I want something turnkey, reliable, and fun. I’d love to stay out of the six figure range, especially since I’m intrigued about getting work done down the line. Still drawn to a 993, but I’d pull the trigger on a nice ‘86 if the right deal came up. At this point, I’m focused on air cooled, so the 996/997 are out. Even if a great deal came up on a GT3 or Turbo, air cooled is a better fit for me.

Do you know anything about 993s? I’d love to have you take a look at this ad (still waiting on the guy to get back to me after touching base last night).
    Cool, sounds like you want a well sorted driver. Are you planning or interested in working on it yourself? They are very reliable cars, but do require additional maintenance at times. For me, it's part of the fun.

993 is a heavier and more modern car than a G-body. I know a decent amount about them. I like them, but I like them as track prepped cars.

PCA runs some really great events. In addition to shows and concours, they do rallies, autocross, and high performance driver education events. HPDE has completely sucked me in.

vCash
    Cool, sounds like you want a well sorted driver. Are you planning or interested in working on it yourself? They are very reliable cars, but do require additional maintenance at times. For me, it's part of the fun.

993 is a heavier and more modern car than a G-body. I know a decent amount about them. I like them, but I like them as track prepped cars.

PCA runs some really great events. In addition to shows and concours, they do rallies, autocross, and high performance driver education events. HPDE has completely sucked me in.
    I mean in theory I’d like to do some work myself, but I’m reality I likely won’t. There are multiple highly respected shops within 20 minutes of me, so it shouldn’t be an issue.

The guy got back to me with more pics. Beautiful car, but I’m a bit hesitant to move forward on something without seeing it in person. Hell, I haven’t even seen any 993 in person yet during my “search.” I think I’m going to exercise some patience and at least go to Holt’s before doing anything. I’d LOVE to buy local, especially from a renown place like Holt’s, but he doesn’t really tend to stock higher mileage cars and I’m guessing all of his 993s are gonna be well over $100k+. I’m not necessarily opposed to spending that for a great car, but I’m going to have to mull it over for a bit. It’s not like we are talking about a difference of $3-5k compared to private parties/less reputable dealers, but that doesn’t mean that cars from those places are all dogs, ya know?
    Last edited by Anthony; 10-12-2021 at 05:42 AM.

vCash
    Gamer IDs

I mean in theory I’d like to do some work myself, but I’m reality I likely won’t. There are multiple highly respected shops within 20 minutes of me, so it shouldn’t be an issue.

The guy got back to me with more pics. Beautiful car, but I’m a bit hesitant to move forward on something without seeing it in person. Hell, I haven’t even seen any 993 in person yet during my “search.” I think I’m going to exercise some patience and at least go to Holt’s before doing anything. I’d LOVE to buy local, especially from a renown place like Holt’s, but he doesn’t really tend to stock higher mileage cars and I’m guessing all of his 993s are gonna be well over $100k+. I’m not necessarily opposed to spending that for a great car, but I’m going to have to mull it over for a bit. It’s not like we are talking about a difference of $3-5k compared to private parties/less reputable dealers, but that doesn’t mean that cars from those places are all dogs, ya know?
    Six figures for a 993...is a lot, even with everything being more expensive due to the pandemic.

1. PCA classifieds are a great place to buy a Porsche. Sign up, pay the "test drive" membership, and check it daily.
    2. Rennlist and Pelican Parts forums are also good.
    3. Test drive as many as you can. Go drive a G-body, 964, and 993 and see what you think.

The general recommendation is to always get a pre-purchase inspection with these cars because body work is extremely expensive, engine work is expensive, transaxle work is expensive...but at the same type the whole car is robust enough to merit rebuilding the engine and transaxle over and over again. Personally, I look for a car with good records and evidence of it being used and maintained. At this point any of these cars that have actually been driven likely have had the top-end of the engine rebuilt at minimum and the transaxle rebuilt. I'd rather a car with 100K miles and good history than a car with low miles and uncertainty.

Some points people love to discuss....

G-body through 1986 have the 915 transaxle. It's a cable actuated clutch and mechanical shifter linkage. Maintained properly, they are awesome, but they aren't the type of transmission you shift in rage.

1987-1989 use a G50 transaxle that is much more modern with a hydraulic clutch. 964 and 993 also use the G50. 993 is the first to have a 6 speed. None of this matters to me. The 915 versus G50 is something people like to debate but properly maintained they are both good, one simply is more modern.

SC and up are fully galvanized. Massive rust is not usually an issue for a well cared for car. Always check under the battery area for signs of old lead acid batteries causing all sorts of rust issues. Check the windshield area and cowl on the 964.

People love coupes without sunroofs. You get a little more headroom (for a helmet especially) and it helps resale.

G-body has torsion bar suspension. It works damn well. 964 went to coilover suspension. It's more modern.

Pre-1973 is a whole different game, and you haven't mentioned interest there, so I haven't mentioned anything about it.
    Last edited by Locker537; 10-12-2021 at 06:37 AM.

vCash
    Gamer IDs

Yea, lol. As I’m getting more serious about getting one, I quickly disregarded a 930. I mean they’re totally bad ass, but I don’t want to have to explain to my wife wh they’re nicknamed “widow maker”
    Tires have come a long way since the 930 was new.

Nothing against the Turbos, but I gravitate towards the naturally aspirated cars (especially on track).

vCash
    Six figures for a 993...is a lot, even with everything being more expensive due to the pandemic.

1. PCA classifieds are a great place to buy a Porsche. Sign up, pay the "test drive" membership, and check it daily.
    2. Rennlist and Pelican Parts forums are also good.
    3. Test drive as many as you can. Go drive a G-body, 964, and 993 and see what you think.

The general recommendation is to always get a pre-purchase inspection with these cars because body work is extremely expensive, engine work is expensive, transaxle work is expensive...but at the same type the whole car is robust enough to merit rebuilding the engine and transaxle over and over again. Personally, I look for a car with good records and evidence of it being used and maintained. At this point any of these cars that have actually been driven likely have had the top-end of the engine rebuilt at minimum and the transaxle rebuilt. I'd rather a car with 100K miles and good history than a car with low miles and uncertainty.

Some points people love to discuss....

G-body through 1986 have the 915 transaxle. It's a cable actuated clutch and mechanical shifter linkage. Maintained properly, they are awesome, but they aren't the type of transmission you shift in rage.

1987-1989 use a G50 transaxle that is much more modern with a hydraulic clutch. 964 and 993 also use the G50. 993 is the first to have a 6 speed. None of this matters to me. The 915 versus G50 is something people like to debate but properly maintained they are both good, one simply is more modern.

SC and up are fully galvanized. Massive rust is not usually an issue for a well cared for car. Always check under the battery area for signs of old lead acid batteries causing all sorts of rust issues. Check the windshield area and cowl on the 964.

People love coupes without sunroofs. You get a little more headroom (for a helmet especially) and it helps resale.

G-body has torsion bar suspension. It works damn well. 964 went to coilover suspension. It's more modern.

Pre-1973 is a whole different game, and you haven't mentioned interest there, so I haven't mentioned anything about it.

Thanks for your insight! I signed up for PCA over the weekend, but I can’t reply to classified ads. I emailed them about it.

I agree $100k is a lot for a 993, especially if it doesn’t have unique options, PTS, etc.

vCash
    Gamer IDs

Thanks for your insight! I signed up for PCA over the weekend, but I can’t reply to classified ads. I emailed them about it.

I agree $100k is a lot for a 993, especially if it doesn’t have unique options, PTS, etc.
    Keep the questions coming and I'm happy to help.

vCash
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: FASTPACE1105
    I would recommend going to look at as many as you can. Figure out the color combos, options, upgrades, etc that you do and don't like. Lay our a couple of combinations of what you want and then even scenarios of when you might stretch budget. Then settle in and start seriously searching. When you find what you truly want, it might require asking someone to look at it and taking a weekend flight out and then shipping it.

If you plan to keep it, make sure it's something you're really happy with. It's exciting to get something, but it's even better when it's something that you continually love. I've compromised before and once the new wore off I regretted it. Had always wanted an White C5Z06, found a great deal on a white 99 FRC which is very similar but I was a good deal because it wasn't super clean. I cleaned it up, looked decent but it needed a bunch of parts to get it to the level I would have liked. One thing after another and I just decided to sell it. I'm not talking major things here, marks on interior plastic and just overall interior condition, small spot that clear was peeling, and a few other paint issues. Stuff adds up quick when a car hasn't been taken care of well.

vCash
    Keep the questions coming and I'm happy to help.

I emailed the TN dealer about that black one I posted. Looks clean and well priced. I’ll hit you up once he gets back.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Fastpace View Post
    I would recommend going to look at as many as you can. Figure out the color combos, options, upgrades, etc that you do and don't like. Lay our a couple of combinations of what you want and then even scenarios of when you might stretch budget. Then settle in and start seriously searching. When you find what you truly want, it might require asking someone to look at it and taking a weekend flight out and then shipping it.

If you plan to keep it, make sure it's something you're really happy with. It's exciting to get something, but it's even better when it's something that you continually love. I've compromised before and once the new wore off I regretted it. Had always wanted an White C5Z06, found a great deal on a white 99 FRC which is very similar but I was a good deal because it wasn't super clean. I cleaned it up, looked decent but it needed a bunch of parts to get it to the level I would have liked. One thing after another and I just decided to sell it. I'm not talking major things here, marks on interior plastic and just overall interior condition, small spot that clear was peeling, and a few other paint issues. Stuff adds up quick when a car hasn't been taken care of well.

I agree, but the issue is that these wants quickly become $$$. For instance, I would LOVE a Forest Green 993 over beige. But this combo is rare and trades at a pretty high premium. Sport seats with hardbacks are also great, but you’re paying $5k for them. At that point, I’d rather put the money into something that’s mechanically sound, and that’s sorta what’s drawing me to Holt’s. It’s either I hunt for specific options and try to get a decent deal to stay in budget or I just say fuck it, don’t be picky about options but be reasonably assured that the car is top quality. Top quality + top options is going to be too $$$

Now having said all of that, I still think your advice is sound for things like coupe/targa/cab. I’ve found myself trying to rationalize a targa or cab, but I REALLY want a coupe (preferably without a sunroof). That’s a line in the sand I should probably draw and not cross. Because I know that if I did a cab, I’d regret it. I could possibly get over a targa, but at the end of the day I really, really want a coupe and I should probably stay true to that.
    Last edited by Anthony; 10-12-2021 at 07:33 AM.

vCash
    Ok, so I found out this car is $100k

https://www.holtmotorsports.com/cari...php?vin=323370

Not as much as a premium as I expected. The two black ones I posted have 92k+ miles, are out of state, and aren’t from as reputable of a seller. I don’t like red (at least I think I don’t lol) but I think this pretty much solidified my decision to just be patient and wait until he gets a car I love. I’m going to go over there on Friday.
    Last edited by Anthony; 10-12-2021 at 09:30 AM.

vCash
    I figured a non-turbo would be less than that.

vCash
    Almost 30 year old car for $100k? That doesn't seem like a prudent financial decision. How much where these things sticker back in the mid 80s to 90s, adjusted for inflation?

vCash
    Almost 30 year old car for $100k? That doesn't seem like a prudent financial decision. How much where these things sticker back in the mid 80s to 90s, adjusted for inflation?
    Sticker for the 993 was around $65k

I wouldn’t really call any weekend pleasure vehicle a prudent financial decision lol. But as far as these things go, a high quality air cooled 911 actually is pretty prudent.
    Last edited by Anthony; 10-12-2021 at 08:06 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DANSBIRD View Post
    I figured a non-turbo would be less than that.
    It’s at the high end of the market, but not completely out of line.

Stable Genius

vCash
    You just wait. My 392 Charger will be worth more than a Saturn Sky when all the V8s are out of production.

vCash
    You just wait. My 392 Charger will be worth more than a Saturn Sky when all the V8’s are out of production.
    Thankfully, 392s should be around a long, long time after they stop selling them.

vCash
    Gamer IDs

Ok, so I found out this car is $100k

https://www.holtmotorsports.com/cari...php?vin=323370

Not as much as a premium as I expected. The two black ones I posted have 92k+ miles, are out of state, and aren’t from as reputable of a seller. I don’t like red (at least I think I don’t lol) but I think this pretty much solidified my decision to just be patient and wait until he gets a car I love. I’m going to go over there on Friday.
    That car looks nice, but I have a hard time with that price!

There was a 993 track car for sale locally for 55K, and you can flog the hell out of it all day everyday

Def go check it out, but don't feel pressured.

Registered Member speed_demon24's Avatar

vCash
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: spddmn24
    You just wait. My 392 Charger will be worth more than a Saturn Sky when all the V8’s are out of production.
    If you bought a manual challenger you would probably be right.

vCash
    Check out this item on OfferUp. https://offerup.co/U25r196Aikb

45,000 miles

Go get on a plane

Edit: 1983 911 SC

Check out this item on OfferUp. https://offerup.co/13CIy7mBikb

Edit: another

Check out this item on OfferUp. https://offerup.co/AfFowA0Bikb

Edit: another

1987 custom deal
    Check out this item on OfferUp. https://offerup.co/pYKU8ffCikb
    Last edited by Darkmatter; 10-12-2021 at 10:56 PM.

vCash
    Check out this item on OfferUp. https://offerup.co/U25r196Aikb

45,000 miles

Go get on a plane

That's not a 1977 Porsche. Thinking he meant 1997.
    Last edited by DANSBIRD; 10-12-2021 at 10:44 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DANSBIRD View Post
    That's not a 1977 Porsche. Thinking he meant 1997.
    I figured they updated the body panels. Seems to be a pretty common thing

vCash
    I don’t think Anthony is concerned about ROI here.

vCash
    I figured they updated the body panels. Seems to be a pretty common thing
    Either way it’s probably a scam